Saturday 9 July 2011

Why Apple rocks

I spent most of last week at the Ideas Festival in Aspen, Colorado. It was overwhelming as always, More on that later. Whole different topic for the moment. Amongst all the chaos in Aspen I dropped my iphone on the floor a couple of times. It lead to the screen locking up and the battery failing to recharge. Itunes no longer recognised the phone.

Once back in London, I went straight to Apple's Genius bar on regents street wondering if there is any hope of repair for the poor phone. Guy named Jamie took my phone into their hardware test room and promised to be back in 10. When Jamie came out saying that none of the tests could find anything obviously wrong, he saw the little disappointed look on my face.
He beamed radiantly and said: How about I make you a new one?
Really? but it's out of the warranty period!
Jamie smiled regardlessly. And make me a new one he did - he gave me a brand new phone, swapped out the sim and proceeded to activate it.

Replacing an iphone that is out of warranty at zero cost? It would have been over 500 pounds, perhaps a small figure to Apple in the grand scheme of things. I still think it's a very classy gesture. Steve Jobs is undoubtedly a marketing genius and he has lots of little soldiers on the ground making sweet micro decisions. Sometimes you just have to hand it to Apple.

4 comments:

  1. Ha. Only because the machines are made at such a low cost! It's easy to make win-win trade like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that has always been the difference between apple and microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you being paid to write this? Have you forgotten about all the chinese factory workers that Apple killed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear pretty people get a better treatment at the Apple store. When I broke my phone few years back, they offered a new phone for $200 fee. :(

    ReplyDelete